There is a Scottish Adage that says....
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.
Which was originally said in Scottish Gaelic as....
Am fear nach gleidh na h-airm san t-sith, cha bhi iad aige 'n am a' chogaidh.
Given that the (English version of the) Adage is in an older version of English, here's my translation of the adage into modern English....
Any person who does not have any weapons when there is no fighting will not have any weapons when there is fighting.
Part (but not all) of the meaning of this adage could also be said (in modern English) as....
Any person who does not keep weapons around or on them when they don't need to protect themselves will not have any weapons when they do need to protect themselves.
This isn't an adage I grew up with, but one I discovered while reading. It's an adage I quite agree with.
The meaning I take from this is....
- Keep weapons around.
- Do what's smart in not letting others take away your weapons.
- Know how to use weapons.
Given the lessons of history, it's probably also best to learn to hide your weapons. (Since it is likely others will want to take them away from you.)
It's probably also best to know how to make weapons too.
Other things I'd suggest, even though this adage doesn't really say it, are....
Learn how to fight.
- Learn to fight without weapons.
- Learn to fight with weapons.
- Train in Martial Arts
- Be able to teach this adage and all these other things to others.
Pass this down to your children.
- Make sure your children learn to fight, both without and with weapons.
- Make sure your children keep weapons around.
- Make sure your children learn how to hide weapons.
- Make sure your children learn how to make weapons.
- Make sure your children are able to teach this adage and all these other things to others.
- Make sure your children pass this down to their children, etc.
This Scottish adage reminds me of something I've said before (although the it does not mean the same thing)....
A man who relinquishes the active guard of his security is a fool.
Note that when I said this, I did not mean that you could not augment the guard of your security with the help of other. But you should not be dependent on others.
It also reminds me of the 2nd Amendment of the USA's constitution....
A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
And it also reminds me of a quote said to be made by Benjamin Franklin....
Those who would give up Liberty in the name of security deserve neither.